How to Stop Unwanted Calls
Have you been experiencing frequent calls, made by unknown phone numbers? Are such occurrences rather frequent? In this case, you may be experiencing scam calls. While it is possible for companies to call you due to various reasons, it’s worth being vigilant, as ill-intended may try to take advantage of you via phone calls.
How to differentiate good calls from bad calls? It is possible to tell if you’re paying attention to certain particularities during the phone call. So, rule number one is to stay calm, no matter how alarming the person on the other side is. And, of course, to look for clues that will underline the fact that you’re dealing with a scammer, as mentioned below.
- Scammers can reach you even if you are enrolled in the National Do Not Call Registry. Because they can use the Internet to call anyone, the Registry is not enough to stay safe. So, always be suspicious when you see an unknown number calling you;
- The best way to protect yourself against scammers is to block a phone number. You can always do this to phone numbers that are bothering or insistent. However, bear in mind that the method for blocking a phone number differs based on the type of phone you’re using;
- To block a phone number on a mobile phone, check to see if such a feature is available on the phone’s settings. You could also check with your phone carrier and see if it can help you. Last, but not least, you could download and install a phone blocking app, to use for such purposes;
- To block a call on a landline phone, you need to check this option with your carrier. Some services of this kind may be free, but it is possible for some carriers to charge a fee for this kind of request. Or, you can use a call blocking device, connected to the phone;
- To block calls received on a VoIP, such settings may be done by checking your Internet services. The carrier providing them may be able to help. Again, such services may be free or offered for a charge, depending on the carrier. When using call blocking services, you can choose to block calls completely, ring on silent mode, or redirect them to your voicemail;
What if you answer the phone and you hear a robot talking on the other side? Many companies use robots to make calls, especially with the purpose of presenting an offer or trying to make a sale. You need to know that companies need your written consent to make robocalls. If this isn’t the case, the call is illegal.
Also, if you’re receiving a lot of robocalls, then they’re not just illegal, but they can also be scams. These robocalls try to sell you something, so they convince you to make a payment, as instructed. As you can tell, they’ll take your money, but will never provide the promised product.